About Anonymous Discussions
- Participants in an anonymous discussion are not able to view the usual usernames or avatars of other participants. Instead, all participants are assigned a generic randomized avatar and username such as "user1918".
- Participants in an anonymous discussion are informed of their newly assigned username upon entering the discussion for the first time.
- Discussion admins are able to view the "real" usernames of all participants in the discussion.
- Students can work out the identity of another participant if they reveal any personally identifiable information (such as in a comment or in the discussion chat).
- Once a discussion is anonymized, it cannot be reverted back to a standard discussion.
Tip: You may wish to remind students that as discussion Admins, teachers/educators are able to view the real usernames of all participants.
How to Anonymize a Discussion
Note: Only discussion Admins can anonymize a discussion.
To anonymize a discussion:
- Click the ≡ button in the top-left of the discussion.
- Open the Discussion Settings.
- Scroll down to the Discussion Actions section and click Anonymize Discussion.
- To continue, click Anonymize.