About Creating a New Discussion
To create a new discussion:
- Navigate to the My Kialo page and click the + New button in the top-right-hand corner.
- Enter a name for your discussion.
- Optionally, edit the thesis of your discussion if different from the name.
- Choose the language of your discussion. To get straight into your discussion, click Skip rest and complete, or click the > arrow to configure further settings.
- Select whether to create a single- or multi-thesis discussion. Click the > arrow.
- Add an optional cover image or background info to the discussion, then click the > arrow. These can be changed later.
- Choose whether to enable tasks in your discussion and configure them if so (see Tasks for more info). Click the > arrow.
- Choose the participation type: either Standard Participation, where all participant names are viewable, or Anonymous Participation. Click the > arrow.
- Select whether to enable any advanced discussion options (read more: Displaying Claim Authors; About Voting; Using the Grading and Feedback Feature).
- Finally, click the green checkmark to create your discussion.
Saving Custom Default Settings for New Discussions
If you frequently create new discussions with specific settings, it may be convenient to save a custom configuration as your default settings for creating new discussions.
To do so, configure your desired settings on the Configure tasks and/or Options pages (in steps 7 or 9 in the above section), then click Save as default on each page. The next time you create a new discussion, these settings will be configured as saved (even if you click the Skip rest and complete button).
To update any default settings, simply adjust the settings as desired on the relevant page, then click Save as default again. To revert to the original default settings, uncheck all options on the pages and click Save as default to remove them.