Tip: If you’re new to Kialo Edu, the Templates library is an extensive collection of pre-made discussions you may find useful when getting started with Kialo in the classroom.
To create a new discussion:
- Navigate to the My Kialo page and click the + New button in the top-right corner.
- Enter a name for your discussion.
- Optionally, edit the thesis if different from the name.
- Choose the language of your discussion.
- To get straight into your discussion, click Skip rest and complete. Otherwise, click the > arrow to configure further settings.
- Select whether to create a Single Thesis or Multiple Theses discussion. Click the > arrow.
- Optionally, add a cover image and/or background info to the discussion. Click the > arrow.
- If desired, check the option to Enable Tasks and configure the settings as appropriate. Click the > arrow.
- Choose the participation type: either Standard Participation, where all participant names are viewable, or Anonymous Participation. Click the > arrow.
- Select whether to enable any further discussion options: Display Claim Authors; Enable Voting; and/or Grading and Feedback).
- Finally, click the ✅ green check mark to create your discussion.
Saving Custom Default Settings for New Discussions
If you frequently create new discussions with specific settings, it may be convenient to save a custom configuration as your default settings for creating new discussions.
To do so, configure your desired settings on the Tasks and/or Options pages (in steps 8 and/or 10 in the above section), then click Save as default on each page. The next time you create a new discussion, these settings will be configured as saved (even if you click the Skip rest and complete button during an earlier step).
To update any default settings, simply adjust the settings as desired on the relevant page, then click Save as default again. To revert to the original default settings, uncheck all options on the pages and click Save as default to remove them.