Note: To move or link your own claims, or link another user’s claims, you must have the Writer role or higher. To move another user’s claims, you must have the Editor role or higher.
About Moving and Linking Claims
- Claims in a discussion can be either moved to, or linked in, a new location.
- Moving a claim to a new location will remove it from its old location.
- Linking a claim will copy it to a new location while also keeping it in its original location, allowing it to be in multiple locations. Changes to a linked claim (as well as the children claims underneath it) will be reflected everywhere it is located, with the exception of when it is deleted in one location – it will still exist in the other locations.
- If a claim is better placed in a new location, it should be moved there. If a claim is appropriately placed in multiple locations, it should be linked there.
How to Move or Link a Claim
To move or link a claim:
- Drag the claim into the clipboard box in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Navigate to the new location. Then, drag and drop the claim from the clipboard either:
- onto an existing claim (on the left-hand side will place it under the claim as a pro, the right-hand side as a con);
- or, to the top of any column of pros or cons to add it to that column.
- A pop-up appears asking you to confirm if you would like to move or link the claim in the new location. Select the appropriate option.
Note: If you are on a mobile device, you may find it easier to alternatively open the Claim Menu by clicking on the three vertical dots on a claim or right-clicking it, then selecting ‘Copy to Clipboard’. Then, open the Claim Menu again in the target location, and select ‘Paste’.
This short video will also walk you through the steps required to move/link a claim, as well as several other key features of a Kialo discussion.
For information on how to move/link a claim between two discussions, see Linking Claims Between Discussions. For information on linking discussions as claims in other discussions, see Linking a Discussion in Another Discussion.