Kialo Edu discussions can be embedded in Canvas, allowing you to display an interactive discussion in your course. This is useful as students can view and interact with discussions directly in Canvas without needing to navigate to Kialo Edu.
Important Notes Regarding Embedding Kialo Discussions in Canvas
In order to view an embedded Kialo Edu discussion, students must have the usual permissions required to access the discussion. Therefore, students must be logged in and invited to the discussion; or a Sharing Link must be enabled to allow all users accessing the Canvas resource to view the discussion.
To embed a Kialo Edu discussion, a snippet of HTML code is copied from Kialo Edu and pasted into Canvas. The walkthrough below guides you through the process.
The embedded discussion appears where the code snippet is placed in the Canvas resource. In the walkthrough, the code snippet is pasted at the bottom of the resource. If desired, the code snippet can be placed in a different location, however, be aware students might not scroll past the embed and therefore may miss any information included underneath it.
If you are having trouble locating the relevant Canvas buttons specified in the walkthrough, your school or organization may be using an alternative configuration for Canvas. This can change the appearance of the interface, or, more significantly, restrict you from using the HTML Editor (which is necessary to embed discussions). If this seems to be the case, please contact your IT department for further assistance.
Walkthrough: Embedding a Kialo Discussion in Canvas
- In Kialo Edu, navigate to the discussion to embed. Click the ‘Share’ button found in the top-right of the discussion, then ‘Embed Discussion’.
- A popup appears with two snippets of HTML code. Click ‘Copy’ for the second option.
- Navigate to the Canvas content to embed the discussion in and open the Rich Content Editor.
- Click the ‘Embed Media’ button to open the Embed window.
- Paste the copied code into the ‘Embed Code’ section.
- Click ‘Submit’. The embedded discussion should appear in the content editor similar to the example below.
- Save and/or publish the content as normal.
Upon opening the content, the discussion should be embedded in an interactive window.