Kialo Edu discussions can be embedded in Blackboard Original courses, allowing you to display an interactive discussion in your course. This is useful as students can view and interact with discussions directly in Blackboard without needing to navigate to Kialo Edu.
Note: At the time of writing, Kialo Edu discussions cannot be embedded in Blackboard Ultra courses, as HTML editing is not supported for items. We recommend creating an external link to discussions instead. For information whether your course uses Blackboard Original or Ultra, see Do I have Ultra? | Blackboard Help.
Important Notes Regarding Embedding Kialo Discussions in Blackboard
In order to view an embedded Kialo Edu discussion, students must have the usual permissions required to access the discussion. Therefore, students must be logged in and invited to the discussion; or a Discussion Access Link must be enabled to allow all users accessing the Blackboard item to view the discussion.
To embed a Kialo Edu discussion, a snippet of HTML code is copied from Kialo Edu and pasted into Blackboard. The walkthrough below guides you through the process.
The embedded discussion appears where the code snippet is placed in the Blackboard item. In the walkthrough, the code snippet is pasted at the bottom of the item. If desired, the code snippet can be placed in a different location, however, be aware students might not scroll past the embed and therefore may miss any information included underneath it.
If you are having trouble locating the relevant Blackboard buttons specified in the walkthrough, your school or organization may be using an alternative configuration for Blackboard. This can change the appearance of the interface, or, more significantly, restrict you from using the HTML Code View (which is necessary to embed discussions). If this seems to be the case, contact your IT department for further assistance.
Walkthrough: Embedding a Kialo Discussion in Blackboard
- In Kialo Edu, navigate to the discussion to embed. Click the ‘Share’ button found in the top-right of the discussion, then ‘Embed Discussion’.
- A popup appears with two snippets of HTML code. Click ‘Copy’ for the second option.
- Navigate to the content you want to embed a Kialo discussion in and open the editor.
- Click the ‘HTML Code View’ icon.
- Paste the copied code at the bottom of the text box in Blackboard.
- Click the ‘HTML Code View’ icon again. This exits HTML mode, reverting to the normal text editor. The embed appears as a yellow placeholder in the text box.
- Click ‘Submit’.
The discussion now appears embedded in an interactive window in Blackboard.