Kialo Edu discussions can be embedded in Blackboard Original courses, allowing you to display an interactive discussion in your course. This is useful, as students can view and interact with discussions directly in Blackboard without needing to navigate to Kialo Edu.
- Important Notes Regarding Embedding Kialo Discussions in Blackboard
- Walkthrough: Embedding a Kialo Discussion in Blackboard
Important Notes Regarding Embedding Kialo Discussions in Blackboard
In order to view an embedded Kialo Edu discussion, students must have the usual permissions required to access the discussion. Therefore, students must be logged in and invited to the discussion; or a Discussion Access Link must be enabled to allow all users accessing the Blackboard item to view the discussion.
To embed a discussion, a snippet of HTML code is edited and pasted into Blackboard. The walkthrough below guides you through the process.
The embedded discussion appears where the code snippet is placed in the Blackboard item. In the walkthrough, the code snippet is pasted at the bottom of the item. If desired, the code snippet can be placed in a different location, however, be aware students might not scroll past the embed, and therefore may miss any information included underneath it.
If you are having trouble locating the relevant Blackboard buttons specified in the walkthrough, your school or organization may be using an alternative configuration for Blackboard. This can change the appearance of the interface, or, more significantly, restrict you from using the HTML Code View (which is necessary to embed discussions). If this seems to be the case, contact your IT department for further assistance.
Walkthrough: Embedding a Kialo Discussion in Blackboard
- Navigate to the content you want to embed a Kialo discussion in and open the editor.
- Click the ‘HTML Code View’ icon.
- Copy the code snippet below and paste it at the bottom of the text box.
<p><iframe src="https://www.kialo-edu.com/example-kialo-debate-0001?embedder&utm_medium=embed" width="100%" height="600px"></iframe><p/>
- Replace the discussion link (shown in purple) with the link of your intended Kialo Edu discussion. Once completed, the text box should contain a code snippet similar to this example located at the bottom (the sample discussion link here is "https://www.kialo-edu.com/571/"):
- Click the ‘HTML Code View’ icon again. This exits HTML mode, reverting to the normal text editor. The embed appears as a yellow placeholder in the text box.
- Click ‘Submit’.
The discussion now appears embedded in an interactive window in Blackboard.