Kialo Edu discussions can be embedded in Canvas, allowing you to display an interactive discussion in your course. This is useful as students can view and interact with discussions directly in Canvas without needing to navigate to Kialo Edu.
- Important Notes Regarding Embedding Kialo Discussions in Canvas
- Walkthrough: Embedding a Kialo Discussion in Canvas
Important Notes Regarding Embedding Kialo Discussions in Canvas
In order to view an embedded Kialo Edu discussion, students must have the usual permissions required to access the discussion. Therefore, students must be logged in and invited to the discussion; or a Discussion Access Link must be enabled to allow all users accessing the Canvas resource to view the discussion.
To embed a Kialo Edu discussion, a snippet of HTML code is copied from Kialo Edu and pasted into Canvas. The walkthrough below guides you through the process.
The embedded discussion appears where the code snippet is placed in the Canvas resource. In the walkthrough, the code snippet is pasted at the bottom of the resource. If desired, the code snippet can be placed in a different location, however, be aware students might not scroll past the embed and therefore may miss any information included underneath it.
If you are having trouble locating the relevant Canvas buttons specified in the walkthrough, your school or organization may be using an alternative configuration for Canvas. This can change the appearance of the interface, or, more significantly, restrict you from using the HTML Editor (which is necessary to embed discussions). If this seems to be the case, please contact your IT department for further assistance.
Walkthrough: Embedding a Kialo Discussion in Canvas
- In Kialo Edu, navigate to the discussion to embed. Click the ‘Share’ button found in the top-right of the discussion, then ‘Embed Discussion’.
- A popup appears with two snippets of HTML code. Click 'Copy' for the second option.
- Navigate to the Canvas content to embed the discussion in and open the Rich Content Editor.
- Click ‘HTML Editor’. This changes the contents of the text box to appear in HTML code.
- Paste the copied code at the bottom of the text box in Canvas.
(View Larger Image)
- Click ‘Rich Content Editor’. This exits HTML mode, reverting to the normal text editor. The embedded discussion should appear as shown below.
- Click ‘Save & Publish’.
The discussion now appears embedded in an interactive window in Canvas.